Friday, January 14, 2011
So, in an attempt to get more protein, which will make me and baby healthier, and could possibly make my morning sickness better, I've started eating meat again. Our midwife suggested buying buffalo meat from a local farm in town because 1) it's super clean meat with no added hormones and 2) because it's local and inexpensive.
Saturday we picked some up, planning to have Andrew cook it while I was at work (the smell of meat is grossing me out) and then add it in small bits to different meals throughout the week. Then on Sunday night we were both craving burgers.
So Andrew went and got briquettes for the grill (and some Thomas Kemper sodas for a treat!), made some patties and grilled us some buffalo burgers. Outside where I didn't have to smell it. I grilled some onions and sliced some leftover canned pineapple we had in the fridge. And I made these delicious fries...here's the recipe, I would half it for next time.
Delicious Battered Baked Fries
* 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled
* 1 cup flour
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon Johnny's seasoning salt
* water as needed
* 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice potatoes into French fries, and place into cold water so they won't turn brown.
3. Grease a cookie sheet.
4. Sift the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, Johnny's, and paprika into a large bowl. Gradually stir in the vegetable oil and enough water so that the mixture can be drizzled from a spoon.
5. Dip potato slices into the batter one at a time, and place on the cookie sheet so that they aren't overlapping.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and toss potatoes. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
So, with our delicious dinner prepared, we sat down to eat. I was able to eat about 3/4ths of my burger before I was just too stuffed. But for the most part, I thought it was delicious. Of course, it was smothered in BBQ sauce, pineapple, and grilled onions. Andrew had a harder time with the meat flavor, but ate about half of it. Next morning, I had terrible morning sickness. And we both had angry stomachs all day long. Next time, we skip the burger idea and go with the small bits of meat at a time plan.